Sunday, May 2, 2010

A letter to a best friend

To my dearest: mistakes of life

You have been a best friend. A good friend is one who stays with the other through thick and thin. Thanks, for you have done that and more. Even when I didn’t want you in life, you never left my side. Even when I cried and shouted, “leave me alone!” you paid no heed and stuck around. Thanks.

You took so many forms when you spoke to me. First, you were that kid in the orphanage I went to at 6. You smiled at me from the other side of the gate, asked me with genuine concern if I was alright after a fall, and I ignored you. Then you turned into my mother who I lied to at 17. I cried that day. I begged you to leave me. However, the friend that you are, you kept yourself at bay. You were him who I hurt. You were him who hurt me. You walked in and out of my life so many times.

I don’t recognize you anymore. I think you are me now. I don’t see you anymore.
Thanks for being there, friend. Sometimes I wish you would just get lost.

Me/ You

1 comment:

  1. oh I dint know he was ur best friend … I always thought I was his only best friend… so guess we are best friends too … (A best friend’s best friend may happen to be your best friend too!!)... Time and again I was always wondering , why he was always n always ‘only’ behind me… poor me!!!.... You, dear friend, had I known u before ,I wud have surely warned u from meeting him… or wud have wholeheartedly taken ur advice to ward him off … but again as u said , I guess he loves us tres beaucoup… and still then, why does he make me cry too.. he embraced me when I was born and I cried not knowing how joyful my parents were…. He strolled along with me all through these years and like u , I too tried in vain to loathe him. Sometimes he comes as a slip of a tongue, nd other times as a deadening silence . He transfigured in my life as ‘courageless-ness’ during the days wen I wore uniform. And to find a long wanted relief I shared that ‘mal voyage’ with the above mentioned “best’ friend, to a new-found friend of mine , she comforted me telling that t’was a good thing that I din have the nerves to deal with it. But I wept bitterly, small chunks of tears rolled down my cheeks on to my lips .. it wasn’t salty but bitter … Many many times before too , when he had turned out to be my most uninvited guest, I had tasted the same drops.
    He feels he teaches me a lot. But how many times have I learnt??.. How many times have I called him back!!!…. when I fought with my sister in a board game of black and white men , I decided he will not return , again I invited him the day I snatched the remote control from her frail hands to see my favorite program forgetting she wud be holding it for only less than a week and I had and wud have the idiot box for the remaining 51 weeks . And lot many more at very frequent intervals wen we wer together .. Shuldn’t have forgotten the tantrums that I’ve thrown on mumma nd the pain in seeing tears dropping from her eyes through a window quarter-opened , he was standing there besides me with his usual sneer…
    Whenever I took decisions he stood with me and made sure that I wuld always rembr him.!!!…
    Would that dear friend of urs and mine ever realize that he was toying with our lives which are caged by time and space??? !!!!!……… Is there a comeback ??? how easy is patching up the damage he caused???… nd still u call him ur dearest… how truly paradoxical!!!!!! ……..

    ReplyDelete