Past 3.00 AM. I’m in the middle of a half-yawn, but I know the journey to dreamland will take me a while. Ponder time.
Last week, a friend introduced her friend to me as her first best friend ever. Met around kindergarten days and stuck on to be friends, she said (It is a blessing if one can make such claims. You hardly stay the same with your first best friend throughout. In fact, you hardly remember the person you gave that honour to, mostly). I thought for the name of that first best friend of mine- Hannah Thomas- 1st STD, Choice School. I remember sharing a table with her, fighting for an eraser that was never lost. Waiting for ‘free periods’ so that we could get into our illusionary office, where stenographers (Hannah and I) typed with upturned 15 cm- measurement scales (for the appropriate sound, as our little fingers tapped on each imagined letter). Trying our own strategies, individually, to be the ‘preferred one’ of the class bully- always in competition with each other. Sharing water (sometimes) but never sharing lunch (chocolate wafers and creamy cakes were never spared, so we ate it in hiding). Being a proud owner of ‘foreign’ colour pencils and cussing and bawling when she broke it. Playing ring-a-ring-o’roses, falling at “...we all fall down,” and breaking my front tooth (the one dad warned me would make or break my ‘developing’ beauty [3rd STD by now]), and remaining in utter shock to even cry for the remaining part of the day.
Came 4th standard. With new class came new faces. The brutal axe of class-shuffle had fallen on us. The next conversation was on the school bus. The content I hardly remember, but she was definitely not my best friend then. Asha, I think was the next on the list. Or was it Indu? Not sure.
Definitely a funny article. Don't know what your present "Best Friend" must be thinking :) But am sure whoever never figured until now, still has a chance to be on that "List."
ReplyDeleteBut tis still a good memory.
PS: Memory is deceptive because it is colored by today's events.
:) lol
ReplyDeletehehehe "kidu" memories !!!!! .. next article !! The "bestest" of all in these 23 years!!
ReplyDeletego to 12th!! :P
ReplyDeletevery nice piece of writing...
ReplyDeletevery nice piece of memory...
a "time" thaaat long has lost space in my "HDD".
for about 10 mins after reading this i found myself trying hard to go back to those 4 yrs of mine in "Choice". just a few names come by and a few faces pass by, coupling them all just a few shady incidents. and you are right... "BFF's" are always limited to time.